Wednesday, August 19, 2009

{Day 1 - Welcome Cooper}

Introducing Cooper Owen Johnson
9lbs 14 oz
22 inches
Arrived 6:44 pm
August 19th 2009

Cooper arrived at 6:44 pm after I was induced. Brandon and I arrived at the hospital at 8am to get things started and let me tell you, by 9am I am feeling the contractions, WOW!!! After coping with the contractions for about two hours Dr. Ehmer decided to get a little more aggressive (he broke my water, OUCH!!!) and boy did that intensify things. I think that doubled the intensity of the contractions immediately, but he wanted me to work through the contractions for about 15 more minutes before getting the epidural to try and let them naturally get stronger. Thankfully, our GREAT nurses Sherri and Terri called the epidural man as soon as Ehmer left the room. After so many stories I had heard about 'if you can just get through the epidural,' I must say I barely noticed the epidural procedure due to the killer contractions I was trying to distract myself from at the time. A very odd experience to say the least but in a matter of seconds I was feeling no pain. However, I was not a fan of the 'cannot feel anything' theory. Soon after I had received the epidural I got the horrible shakes. I was laying there thinking, "this is the feeling drug addicts seek" "this is horrible." So I requested they lessen the epidural strength so I could at least tell me toes to move and feel someone touch me. After that I was good, just chillin, watching NCIS reruns while Brandon played his playstation for a few hours. All this time they had started the pitocin and were gradually increasing it every 15-30 minutes. When Dr. Ehmer came over a little after 5 to check in, he said it was time!!! You could see the sweat beads immediately start forming on Brandon's forehead, he was more nervous than I was at this point. It seemed like the longest time before we actually started the pushing process because our nurses had to finish up with their other patient. I think Brandon was pacing wondering why they had said it was 'time' then all disappear while I just laid their finishing my episode of NCIS. Then the masses entered the room because it really was time, 6pm on the dot to be exact, we started pushing. Not bad at all that he was here at 6:44pm, not bad at all.

I must say that our nurses and everyone in the delivery were awesome. They all knew from obvious years of experience just what to do to make me comfortable and support a nervous new Dad at the same time. I could not have asked for a better delivery experience.

No comments: